If you read my earlier post about Tintri’s VMstore T540 you know that setting up data protection on the T540 is very simple. There is not much to it really just a few simple clicks and you’re replicating between applicances. Once you set the Replication settings ( assigning the replicating partner and password) and add the purchased license on the appliance you are ready to configure the vms for protection.
Follow the below settings to setup replication of a vm and restore it on another T540. You’ll find that it’s very simple to setup and takes just a few minutes.
Add Replication settings to appliance
Add Replication License
Configuring VMs for Snapshot & Replication to another T540
- Login to your T540 using the url of the appliance http://x.x.x.x/
- Click on “Search VM” link (top right)
- A listing of all the VMs will be shown
- Find the Virtual Machine you wish to protect and right click and select Protect.
- Select the snapshot schedule, retention period, and if you want the snapshot to be replicated and the alert threshold. When you are completed Click on Protect.
- To verify the replication state, on the Virtual Machine list right click on the header bar and select Data Protection. This will refresh the Protection tab showing the replication state, schedule and retention.
Restoring a Replicated VM on another T540
- Login to T540 hosting snapshot using the url of appliance http://x.x.x.x/
- Click on “Search VM” top right
- A listing of all the VMs will be shown. Click on Snapshots and this will lists all snapshots held on the appliance.
- Locate the snapshot you want to recover. Right click and select Clone.
- Create new Virtual Machine window will open. Fill out the required fields and click Clone. The window appear at the bottom right informing you that the Virtual Machine is being added to the inventory.
- Sign into vCenter and find the Virtual Machine that you just cloned complete any needed configuration changes and power on.