Have you ever gotten a ticket requesting if a particular email sent was delivered ? Or did our trusty Administrative assistant need to make sure that everyone received the latest company memo she just sent?
Well, with Exchange 2010, mailbox users can now do their own delivery reports. Since we’ve upgraded to Exchange 2010 I refer all my users with tracking requests to use the new Delivery reports available for them in OWA. The Delivery Reports can be used to search and get delivery information about messages sent by you or sent to you. If you sent a message to five people, for example, you can check the status of the delivery of that message to each person. Delivery reports is only available in OWA and is not accessible using any version of the outlook client. Once a result is viewed a users has the option to send the report to any email address of they choose.
Another added bonus with this feature, it even tracks the message once it’s in the mailbox. For example, User A indicated that she sent an email to User B and User C, but only User B said he received the email. User C insisted they never received the email and there must be an issue with our Exchange servers. I assured them there was nothing wrong with the mail servers and there had to be a valid explanation as to why he was not receiving the email. I walked User A through on how to run a Delivery report on her email messages she sent to User B and User C. The results of her search not only confirmed that BOTH User B and User C received her email but it also showed that User C had moved the email to the deleted items folder. OH Snap!
How to run a Delivery Report:
- To access Delivery reports you or the User must login to your Exchange 2010 OWA site with your required credentials
- Click Options
- See All Options > Organize E-Mail
- Delivery Reports
- You can search for reports on messages you’ve sent by using the Search for messages I’ve sent to box.
- You can use the Search for messages I’ve received from box to search for delivery information about messages someone has sent to you.
- Once required fields are filled in and the results are found, you can double-click on a result to see more details.
Delivery reports are a nice added feature made available to users with Exchange 2010. I personally think that this is way better than sending those awful read receipts for internal emails, which generate even more unneeded traffic.
Have a great night!- Until next time.